A subtle upgrade that makes a striking difference on your Land Rover!
Giving your Land Rover an upgrade is something that you can do to give it a more personalised, sleek look. You can upgrade its wheels, exterior, and interior. But all of those upgrades can be time-consuming and might take a few days, not to mention the cost that it will incur to you. Opting for a less expensive yet practical upgrade is the best way to go. It will also give your Land Rover a major transformation in terms of style.
Upgrading your Land Rover's headlight is an easy and subtle way to give your Land Rover a new look that will definitely level up its appearance.
In this article, we will discuss the different types, how to choose one that fits your needs, and a comprehensive guide that you can easily follow.
Land Rover Defender Headlight Upgrades, what is it?
Upgrading your Land Rover Defender's headlamps simply means that you will replace your vehicle's current halogen lamp with brighter LED headlights, Xenon headlights, or Halo headlights that give your Land Rover a unique look. Consider upgrading one for safety purposes too. Your current halogen headlights aren’t as bright as the mentioned bulb types above.
What types of Headlight upgrades can I avail?
Land Rover Defender 90 LED headlights comes in different types, LED headlights, Halo headlights, or Xenon headlights. Each headlight upgrade has its own set of benefits. Here's a comprehensive guide that might help you decide on your purchase.
These bulbs last longer and stay cool during heavy use for up to 5 years or 10K miles depending on our environment quality such as day and night riding conditions in different weather situations. Compared to the basic halogen headlamps, LED headlights give you brighter lighting, that will make you safe in dark or foggy environments.
With most vehicles, halogen headlights are known for their poor visibility during daytime weather conditions. But with a good Land Rover Defender halo headlight upgrade, you can get an extra-wide viewing area which is perfect to spot anything that might pose danger from behind or in front of your vehicle at night time. Halo headlights features Xenon headlights that come in a circular shape for that sleek and luxurious look.
Xenon headlights is approximately 2-3x brighter compared to the halogen light. They deliver a white-blue light. Xenons are an efficient and cleaner lighting experience because they burn at 650 amps compared to halogen bulbs which release temperatures of 2x as much heat and will eventually degrade as well. They offer higher visibility during night conditions.
How to choose the best one for me?
With that in mind, here's a short guide that you must follow to ensure that you will only get the best upgrades possible:
- Look for headlights that are DOT approved.
- Look for headlights that have a beam pattern.
- Look for headlights with high beam and low beam options.
Another important aspect to consider is the DRA or the Distance Range of Approach. The proximity light range is measured by the maximum distance at which a vehicle can be seen when travelling in front of another on a level road surface. The range of approach depends greatly on factors such as your driving style and headlights that you choose.
Halo headlights themselves can be beneficial to your vehicle and your overall driving experience. When used on right-hand drive vehicles, they eliminate the reverse tint.
After installation, there's no need of headlight raking as well because halo shaped lights do not produce unwanted glare from the following traffic at night time due to their wide illumination range and higher power output compared to conventional direct lamps without a lens or housing. Halo headlights improve following distance at night and provide better lighting for secondary road users such as cyclists, motorcyclists or pedestrians.
That is why if you're going to ask us, we believe that the Halo headlights are the best choice. Now on the next part, we will provide you with an easy to follow guide on how you can install it yourself. You can purchase Halo headlights kit that contains everything that you need in garages across the UK. You can find various shapes and sizes, so be sure that what you will purchase is the correct one for your vehicle model for a hassle-free experience.
How to install Halo headlights
Part 1. REMOVE THE SCREWS
- Most headlights are secured with two Phillips-head screws that secure the lens to the body of the headlight. Remove all of them to get started.
Part 2. REMOVE LENS FROM THE BODY
- Carefully pull the body away from the lens using a slow and consistent motion. The goal is not to get any of the sealant glue on the inside of the light.
- Bend the tabs back into their original places. This helps to make sure that you don't have any problems with regards to moisture that goes inside the body and damages your lights.
Part 3. REMOVE CHROME HOUSING FROM LIGHTS
- Insert pressure to the chrome housing. Start separating it from the headlights.
Part 4. INSTALL HALO RINGS
- If you got the correct measurements and specifications of your Land Rover, you will fit the Halo Rings swiftly without any issues. This the reason why you must get the proper halo headlight measurement before you make a purchase because not all of them are made out of the same measurements.
- Secure them properly with the help of adhesive epoxy that will keep your Halo lights in place. If you purchased a Halo Lights kit, this adhesive comes with it.
- Use the applicator to add small amounts of mixed epoxy behind the silicone ends on either ring.
- Do these same steps for the other side of your headlights.
Part 5. REATTACH HOUSING
- Snap the housing and lens assembly together. Then you can proceed with the wiring connections and connect them to a power supply.
Part 6. CONNECT TO YOUR LAND ROVER DEFENDER'S POWER SUPPLY
- Take the wires that connect to the Halo rings and re-attach them to a power source.
- Attach the red and black wires to a 12-volt source like your vehicle's headlight so that you can easily control the halos with a flick of a switch.
In that easy to follow 6-step guide, you now have your Halo headlights.
If in case this comes challenging for you, or you just can't seem to find time in your hectic schedule, allow us to help you install it, or any headlamps upgrade in that matter.
Do not hesitate to reach us out today and let's upgrade your Land Rover Defender and make it look even better.